Sunday, December 25, 2011

What happens in the darkness of night?

It's funny, at night, a darkness comes, and not it's not just the sun dropping off, it's a darkness inside of you that comes out. Not 'darkness' in a Darth Vader, Donnie Darko sort of way – but something that is obscured, doesn't have light or transparency, something that is not usually discernible in day light hours.
Inside this place are ideas and fears. They are the lurking ones, both negative and positive that sit inside you during the day and come out when the sun goes down. It's the depth of your sub conscious. Your private fantasies, your hidden, often delicious little secrets. Sometimes, your worries growing and gaining strength.
My mind wanders inside to this place and I discover stuff that I didn't know about myself. Curious dreams and little thoughts that either bud into the light and into action, or softly settle back into the darkness from where they came.
It's the breeding ground I guess. The place where things start, germinate into ideas or actions.


Usually this sub-conscious garden bed is just that, sub-conscious. Like the workings of a dog's mind, I usually don't have much of an idea of what goes on in there. I just get the end result – a thought develops and I 'get it' or I end up 'doing' something and have no idea why.
So it's interesting once in a while to wait for the sun to go down and watch the darkness inside you grow clearer.
I think we need to take the time to occasionally have a look at what's growing in there. What thoughts or ideas we've had, what experiences are growing small seedlings in our darkness, adapting and developing, gaining momentum to sprout and come into the daylight hours to catch us unawares. 

No comments:

Post a Comment